Skip to main content

If you would like to study elsewhere, you have a number of choices. No matter where you are studying, if you are not at Smith, you must submit the appropriate request form.

Study Abroad

For all study abroad, please consult with the Office of International Study.

You can only transfer credit for study abroad programs that are approved by the Office of International Study.


12-College Exchange

Smith College participates in a 12-College Exchange Program with the following colleges: Amherst, Bowdoin, Connecticut, Dartmouth, Mount Holyoke, Trinity, Vassar, Wellesley, Wesleyan and Wheaton.

The program also includes two one-semester programs: the National Theater Institute in Waterford, Connecticut, sponsored by Connecticut College, and the Williams–Mystic Seaport Program in American Maritime Studies, in Mystic, Connecticut, sponsored by Williams College.

The 12-College Exchange program is open to domestic undergraduate students only with the exception of Williams–Mystic and the National Theater Institute, to which international students are welcome to apply.

Study in the United States

If you want to study elsewhere in the United States during term time, talk to your class dean. Keep in mind that:

  • Every course you want to transfer for credit must be preapproved by the Registrar.
  • If you want to use a course toward a major, minor or concentration, your adviser in that field has to approve it.
  • For International Students: Plans for study elsewhere in the United States must be approved by the Dean for International Students and Scholars before they can be approved by the class dean.

See the Transfer Credit page for more details.


Studying Elsewhere Senior Year

If you are planning to study away from Smith College during either semester of your senior year, whether in the United States or abroad, you must meet with your adviser and the chair of your department to discuss your plans. Find the necessary forms on the Studying Elsewhere Senior Year page.

Financial Aid

You cannot use your Smith grant to support study elsewhere in the United States, except for the limited amount of aid available for the 12-College Exchange.

If you have federal grants and loans, talk to Student Financial Services about the possibility of creating a consortial agreement to allow you to use these funds elsewhere.